Friday, January 2, 2009

Best of year list.



Here is my list of the best and some of the worst movies, music, and games of the year. 

I put the most effort into the movies and to be honest really had a hard time with the top 4. I moved them around so many times. In fact, each movie was in each of the top 4 positions at one time or another. I think I have finally settled on where I believe they should be. Instead of a top ten I decided to do a top 20. I made a list of my favorite 20 films of the year not the best per se but my favorite in order. With that being said the top 5 are actually what I believe to be the best 5 of the year and also my faves the 15 after that are just the ones I found most enjoyable.

This post is probably a bit long but I had a lot of fun doing it even though it took about 3 hours to type up and a hell of a lot more time thinking about it. I hope maybe someone will enjoy reading it. 

Feel free to comment and leave your lists id love to read them.


Without further ado here is my best and worst things in 2008...

***MOVIES***

I'd like to start off by saying I havent seen the following movies as of this writing and upon seeing them it most likely would change the list adding a few towards the top and knocking off a few from the bottom.

Let the right one in, Waltz with bashir, In bruges, Gran Torino, Milk, and Rachel getting married.

1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

This came in at the end of the year and just stole the whole list from every other movie this year. In a year which I believe to be the greatest in the history of movies this stood out the most to me. I loved everything about it. The effects, the story, the emotion everything fired on all cylinders for a perfect storm of a movie. The only part that took me out of the movie for about 15 minutes was when brad pitt appears at his current age with no makeup or effects. You get so wrapped up in the movie til that point that seeing that seems weird not the 80 year old baby. This movie is the perfect blend of Big Fish and Forest Gump and I cant recommend it enough.

2. The Dark Knight

I dont know what to say about this movie that hasnt been said a million times already. It should have had a lock on number 1 and it did until the awesome releases in december. At one point I had it at number 4 and it might actually deserve that spot but let me explain. The Dark knight is probably the most well made movie I have ever seen. It has one of the top 3 if not the best acting performances I have ever seen in Heath Ledger as The Joker. It is the second highest grossing movie ever made and it is amazing. I think the thing that kept it out of the top spot and put it at number 4 for a while was as amazing as it was there was no emotional investment in it and the other 3 films in the top 4 had an extreme emotional connect with me. Ill leave it at that.

3. The Wrestler

This movie is awesome. It came out of nowhere and has Mickey Rourke in an amazing come back role and the best acting lead acting role of the year. He has the oscar as far as im concerned. This is a heart breaking movie and as must see. Its only open in limited release right now but opens in wide release January 23rd which "coincidentally" is the day after the oscar noms.

4. Wall-E

Upon further viewings this may very well end up being my favorite of the year. This movie not only looked amazing but conveyed a deep message and had more emotion in its first 40 minutes than almost any other film has in hours and all without a single word of dialogue. This is Pixars finest film and thats saying something. It has already won movie of the year some places and has a chance at the oscars. I think the best animated award will forever keep an aimated movie from winning however. This movie has so much heart and is just amazing.

5. Speed Racer

This is the most fun I have had at the movies this year and is the most polarizing movie I have ever seen. I love love loooved this movie. Many people trashed it in reviews and just as many have ended up loving it. I am not sure why the huge split in opinion exists but I dont care. this is the best looking and most visually stimulating movie I have ever seen. The story was spot on, all the actors chosen were perfect, and it is just pure fun. This movie is going to find a strong following on DVD and become redeemed. Also this is the must own Blu-ray for showing what your set up is made of.

6. Iron Man

Who would have thought two of the years best movies and highest grossing movies would be comic book movies. This was an amazing movie in every area. Robert Downey Junior was perfectly cast and the main thing that made or broke this movie. His performance was spot on and turned himself back into an A list actor and made Iron Man into the public eye as one of the top tier super heroes. A lot of people forgot about this movie in the shuffle of amazing movies this year but it stands up over multiple viewings. 

7. Slumdog Millionaire 

Another late release coming out of nowhere and gaining a ton of steam. This to me is this years Juno, Little Miss sunshine, Etc.. Not that is like any of those movies in any way but in the sense that it is an underdog film becoming a huge hit more everyday.  I loved how this movie flash backed on everything to further the story. In any lesser year this movie would be higher on the list theres just too much good stuff this year. 

8. Wanted

I left this movie with my mind blown by what i had just seen. I loved every second of it. Its super crazy, Super fast, and super over the top. If you dont like crazy far out stuff you wont like this movie. But this is an action movie turned to 12 and is deff one of the years best.

9. Kung Fu Panda

This year had some of the best Animated movies ever and this was at the top of the heap. I almost dont even consider Wall-E an animated movie because it crossed over the normal bounds of kids movies but Kung Fu Panda is a classic animated movie through and through. Jack Black was made for this movie and I cant wait for the endless sequels. 

10. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Appatow keeps cranking out amazing movie after amazing movie and has eclipsed Kevin Smith at his own art. Jason Segal is at his best here, Kristen Bell is as awesome as ever, Mila Kunis is awesome and Russel Brandt steals the show. I cant wait for the spin off starring him. The supporting cast are also This is the best comedy of the year and is funnier every time you watch. 

11. Role Models

12. Step Brothers

13. Pineapple Express

14. Hellboy 2

15. Bolt 3-D

16. Cloverfield

17. Burn After Reading

18. Nick and Norah

19. Zack and Miri

20. Tropic Thunder


Worst Movies of the Year.

1. The Happening
2. Jumper
3. 10,000 BC

T.V. 

Best show of the year

Lost

I could spend 2 days discussing a single episode of this show and all the stuff going on in background and hidden away. This show is the best thing to ever happen and I cant imagine anything ever topping it. I cant wait til Jan 21st. 

***Music***

Best Album Of The Year


Fall Out Boy - Folie A Deux

This album is amazing. I have been listening to it non stop for 5 weeks and cant get enough. The only thing keeping it from total perfection is not putting What A catch donnie at the end. This album is full of monster singles. I cant say enough good stuff about this album. I own 3 different formats of it because its that good. Also the cover art is amazing and from one of the best artists in the world.

Honorable Mention. The Academy is - Fast Times and Barrington High

Most Dissapointing Album of the Year.


Gym Class Heroes - The Quilt

Not that this album is bad its just nowhere near the quality of their past albums. Some stand out tracks like Catch me if you can still make the cd worth the purchase but it could have been so much more.

Singles of the year.

I am splitting this into two lists the most influential of the year and my favorite of the year

Most Influential.

1. M.I.A - Paper Planes

This song was everywhere it was made huge by Pineapple Express and fit it perfectly, Spawned samples by Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, T.I. and countless others creating another monster single. It made another appearance at the end of the year in Slumdog Millionaire.

2. Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl

This song was everywhere probably the biggest song of the year. Spawned my new favorite Pop Star.

3. T.I. - Tie Live Your Life  and Whatever You Like

This is just an amazing song and rihanna's flawless singing combined with T.I.'s flawless lyrics make one hell of a song. Whatever you like was an epic single and simplistic as hell but stays stuck in your head forever.

4. Kanye West - Tie Love Lockdown and Heartless

Love lockdown was the years biggest suprise and a huge change in style for kanye. Heartless is a better song but lacked the shock factor that lockdown had with its stark contrast to everything else Kanye has ever done. 

5. Pink - So What

There might be better songs this year but I couldnt think of them and this is deff up there. Pink has never made anything even close to a bad song. 


My Favorite Songs of the Year.

1. Fall Out Boy - Headfirst Slide into Cooperstown on a Bad Bet.

2. Kanye West - Robocop

3. Fall Out Boy - Americas Suitehearts

4. Katy Perry - Hot n Cold

5. Weezer - The Greatest man Who Ever Lived


Best Videos Of The Year

1. Weezer - Pork and Beans

2. Fall Out Boy - I Don't Care

3. Katy Perry - Hot N Cold


Video Games Of The Year

1. Gears of War 2

2. Rock Band 2

3. Grand Theft Auto 4

4. Left For Dead 

5. Call Of Duty World at War

Honorable Mention Devil May Cry 4
















No comments: